Do you have a pool at your home, and does your dog like to drink water from it?
Imagine this, on a hot summer day; your dog wants to go outside to play in the pool and unknowingly drinks water from it.
Well, a little pool of water is not bad for your dog. Too much of it can start to raise concerns. Most pools have either chlorine or salt water in them. And too much of it can be detrimental to your dog.
Read ahead to find out how harmful it can be for your dog to drink water from the pool in the presence of salt or chlorine, and if it is a frequent occurrence, we are going to share pointers on how to prevent it from happening.
Why is Pool Water Harmful for Your Dog?
- In both chlorine and saltwater pool, the chlorine is often diluted so that a couple of sips of pool water will not make your dog ill or potentially even ill at all; as long as the chemicals in your pool are at a safe level, it will be wonderful if your dog takes a few sips throughout their swim.
- Chlorine can be potentially dangerous if your dog ingests it in a large amount.
It means that instead of gulping a few sips of pool water, your dog uses the pool water as a drinking source, or they accidentally take in a lot of pool water throughout their swim.
- Usually, your dog will experience GI upset.
- Chlorine can also be corrosive to the esophagus when taken in a large amount. As a result, your dog will show the symptoms of vomiting, abdominal pain, and diarrhea.
So, if you see your dog showing any or all of the symptoms mentioned above, you must immediately reach out to your veterinarian.
- Saltwater pools pose the most risk to our canine friends. Salt water also contains a small amount of chlorine, but the salt in the pool water is most dangerous for your dog.
- Consumption of salt water by your dog can lead to a life-threatening situation because saltwater toxicity in dogs is a severe medical emergency.
- If left untreated, your dog can experience permanent kidney, brain, and cardiac damage. This occurs due to the electrolytic imbalance that the excess salt water causes within the body.
- Dogs can also experience thinning of the blood due to the large amount of salt water they intake.
- Other symptoms that your dog can show may include weakness, muscle tremors, behavioral change, unresponsiveness, lethargy, a state of confusion, etc.
- Both chlorine and salt water can also be a bit irritating to the dog’s skin if it is left to dry.
- Consumption of too much salt water can also dehydrate your dog.
So, it’s essential to have adequate knowledge to keep your dog safe.
Tips to Keep your Dog Safe
- Make sure that your dog has not consumed any pool water, or if it did, it was only a minimal amount.
- Always try to offer them a new water source for drinking when they are enjoying their time in the pool to resist temptation.
- Before letting your dog into the pool, treat your swimming pool properly so that the amount of chlorine can be as low as possible.
- Even if your dog tries to consume the pool water as a source of drinking, redirect them towards the correct water source.
- Ensure that the pool is covered when not in use.
- Do not leave your dog unsupervised near pools.
- Keep in touch with your veterinarian if your dog shows some abnormal symptoms.
Keep in mind that if your dog takes a few sips from the chlorine- or salt-based pool water, it should be fine, so do not panic. However, always ensure that they can quickly enter and exit the pool with the help of a ramp or ladder and are not left unattended during their swim so that they don’t consume a large amount of water from the pool.