Being handicapped stops you from enjoying the pool?
Now you do not have to worry about it anymore as there are many ways that even if you are handicapped, you can still enjoy the pool and have fun with your friends. Just install a few pieces of equipment, and you are ready for the summer fun.
You can also make the changes in your already made pool if you are the one who is handicapped or have someone in your family with the issue. You do not need to rebuild the entire pool. Just add some equipment according to your space, time, and budget.
Table of Contents
Where Does the Need for the Tools/Equipment Require?
You probably need it in your house or a place where it is on the lower ground even though the levels are accessible more quickly than the places where the pool is on higher floors. Can the person easily use the pool with the help of the equipment?
But before this thing like permission and where can these equipment be used needs to seen like in hotels and public pools. When the equipment is set up, it should meet the Americans with Disabilities Act Accessible Guidelines (ADA) criteria. When choosing devices to improve the accessibility of your pool, it is important that the devices meet the standards outlined in these guidelines.
It depends on the place and the type of equipment being used for specific people and their disabilities. The standard equipments are:
- Pool Stairs – Almost all places have this as it helps the person move in and out of the pool easily without any extra help. The height of the stairs depends on the water level in the pool, and they also help balance the person. Look at some of the best pool steps for the handicapped we have covered in our previous article.
- Lift – It is like a chair the person uses to get into the water. Its step is easy as the person will sit in the chair, and it will be lifted; the lifting can be manual and machine-controlled also.
Once the person is lifted, the chair will go into the water and move out of the chair to enjoy the water. Afterward, the chair moves out of the water back onto the deck. If you want to move out, do the same, just in water first and then out of the water.
- Slopped Entry with Rails – Use a slope that reaches into the water and attach handrails along the sides. The person can enter the water while gripping the rails and slide into the water. They can also be in the water and have balance by clutching the rails all the time.
- Zero Entry – It is a pool that is accessible to all those who find it difficult to enter into the pools. This contains a slope that leads to water directly without lifting or shifting the person. They can also get a beach-like experience here.
They are like alternatives to ladders or stairs and are easy to use as the person in a wheelchair has to slide in the water and enjoy that. It makes the pool seem like a lake or an ocean, which enriches the scenario.
- Aquatic wheelchairs – These are particular chairs built from materials like PVC and stainless steel. They are made of materials that will not make the water dirty and not get dirty at all. They help the person to go in the pool even without getting off the chair at all.
- Ramps – Like most places have this, in the pool also, the construction of ramps is possible. Just make a separate path for them on the side of the pool, and the path will directly lead into the water and can be further enjoyed with the help of aquatic wheelchairs.
They need a certain amount of inclination to meet the standard inclination that has been set up. If it is too narrow or too short, it will not reach the water. There would be no use now, so keep in mind the distance and the length.
- Accessibility – People forget that the person who needs help will also somehow get to the pool; for that, the area, distance of the pool, and other factors need to be seen. Like the use of ramps and railings is required in order to reach the pool first.
- Portable access ladders – These can be put anywhere along the edges of the pool and make the way down to the pool in and out of the water. These have a side deck adapter and side skirting in order to prevent the trapping of the person inside the water.
- Transfer wall – You need a wall, grab bar and then easily access the pool. Move towards the wall of the pool. Grab one of the bars installed on the wall and start to go in the water with the help of the bars placed inside.
There are certain value advantages of these kinds of installations, like the value of the house increases in the market if you are set out to sell the house as many would like to have these kinds of structures. Other is that your friends who are handicapped will be able to come and have fun in the pool with you.
Wrapping up, it can be said that building these kinds of pools is never a waste of money, as it can be observed from the ways mentioned above that make the pool more enjoyable for those who have mobility issues. You can choose any method mentioned above in your home or your hotel.
I know that being handicapped restricts you at many times and places but why stop here when you can use new ways to still enjoy pool days with your loved ones.